Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No Spare Key

Yesterday, I was being a wonderful sister and mailing a big manila envelope filled with wonderful pictures and a long letter to my missionary brother. The kids had just changed into their jammies- it was around 4 pm and who doesn't love to wear their jammies at around 4 pm everyday. So, I opened the doors to the car- in the garage and had the kids climb on in while I did my loading of the car. I loaded Macie and my purse and then put the boys in their car seats. When I shut the doors, I went to open my door and it was locked. They were all locked! Brady had been sitting in the driver's side seat and must have locked the doors. My keys were in my purse in the car, so I tried to get Caleb to get out of his car seat. He couldn't and so I went to call Greg. We hadn't been able to find our spare key for a couple weeks, but I thought we should talk about it one last time. I got off the phone and in my desperation I called the fire department. While on the phone with them, Greg called to say the police department was on their way. The fire department insisted on coming anyways. They both arrived shortly and took quite a time to get the doors opened. I think they thought I was the babysitter at first because I got a lot of questions like, "How old are the kids?" , "Are ALL the kids yours?", "Is this your car?", "Is this your house?" followed by big eyes and an occasional nodding of the head. I think they thought I was about 19. The neighbors were all nice enough to slow down as they drove by and their necks seemed to elongate as they drove past. The kids finally were released from the confines of the car, were given a tour of the fire engine and said good bye to the fire men and police officers. Thank you Lee's Summit Police Department and Lee's Summit Fire Department.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh my gosh, Jess! That's crazy! I'm glad everything turned out OK!

heidi said...

i don't know whether to laugh or to cry! a little of both! i bet the boys loved it and will request that you do it again soon.
all that for being a good sister.

Jeppson Clan said...

Make sure your brother knows all about your sacrifice to get his package off to him!
That so stinks! How nice of your neighbors to rubberneck while they DRIVE by! Glad EVERYTHING TURNED OUT OK. Ridge is helping me type now, thus the all caps.

Melinda said...

Nice....you always have amazing adventures Jess. how do you come up with them? Seriously. I am glad that every thing is good...I agree with Heidi....I don't know whether to laugh or cry.