Thursday, November 20, 2008

6 MONTHS


So, for those of you who didn't know... Greg mentioned to me a little over 6 months ago that he had skin cancer behind his ear. I almost rolled my eyes and told him how dramatic he was being... but being the great wife I am, I looked at it and told him, "Maybe you should have it checked out". It hardly looked like anything, maybe a little scar from a scratch. So, on Monday he made his own dr.'s appointment- (I am so proud of men when they make their own hair, dr., dentist, etc appointments) and went in. The dr. told him he needed to go to have it biopsied immediately, which, of course, made us concerned. Well, on a freezing cold day when we just happened to have spent the whole day in the emergency room for Caleb (short of the long story- I threw a sheet with a Buzz Lightyear rolled in it over the bannister and it went through Caleb's forehead- no, I didn't know there was a Superhero in the sheets, and my laundry is downstairs and the kids like to lay on the ground and have me throw the clothes on them.) Well, after getting out of the ER, Greg gets a message that it WAS CANCER! They had been trying to reach him all day and couldn't, so they left him that message! I was a mess, but it turns out that they can just go in and remove it quite easily. He had surgery a week or so later. They removed a big portion behind his ear on his scalp. We were there all day, because they do the surgery and then they send it off to the lab to see if they got it all. They ended up not getting it all the first time in, so they had him go back in again, and they got it all that time. They did kind of a backwards face lift and it looked terrible at first. He had stretch marks on his scalp- yah, he has no hair so you could see them, and it also looked like they cut off his ear and reattached it. They told him he had a 60 % chance of having it again and will have to go in every 6 months for the rest of his life because he is so young.

So, the reason for this post is that he went in for his first 6 month check up yesterday and he had no cancer! I am so thankful for all our blessings and am thankful that something (HG) prompted Greg to take a closer look behind his ear. I think this is a very appropriate time for me to really think about all the wonderful things I am thankful for.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I forgot to say that the surgery healed up beautifully and you can't even tell he had the surgery done. Another small miracle.

Unknown said...

That's great news!

BTW... I think you should make your blog text a darker color. I had to select it all to be able to read it.

heidi said...

great and wonderful news! much to be thankful for!

Melinda said...

That's awesome to hear! Thanks for sharing the great news! There is so much to be grateful for!

Kelli Lindsey said...

I am so happy that everything has cleared up, what a blessing! Tell Greg hello from us and we are so thankful everything went well.
can't wait to see you again sometime!!!!

Stafford said...

Great to hear a happy report! Life brings us the unexpected, to give us a glimpse of the miracles around us. Good luck at your check ups to come!

Daydreams and Reality said...

Great news!! Oh, and Macie is sooo cute!!!